Friday, February 27, 2009

Mary and Joseph Live On

This is an open letter to the family that lives off the 101 on the Central Coast of California, between Gonzales and Soledad.

I saw your nativity scene yesterday. I know it's not lit up, but it's out. And still set up in the typical nativity configuration. I was going about 65 mph, so I couldn't tell for sure, but it looked like the cradle was empty. Did a Groundhog steal the plastic Christ Child? Or are you rotating the contents of the cradle to suit the holiday? I know where you can get a cute little leprechaun. That should tide you over until Easter, which falls on April 12th this year.

What you could do, is celebrate the phases of Jesus's life, starting with the Nativity, and culminating with the resurrection. I attended an Easter brunch a few years ago where my friends had rigged up a rising Jesus in the doorway adjoining the kitchen and living room. These are the supplies you'll need to set up an outdoor equivalent:

1. A Jesus figure. Think lawn ornament size. (Here's a link to a Jesus Statue Catalog.)

2. A rope and pulley system. (There's a helpful diagram here.)

3. Someone who can be the resurrector. (ie: the puller of the pulley.)

4. Easter brunch!

I'll be heading back up North on the 101 next week. I'll stop in and discuss the options with you.

No comments:

 
http://www.blogger.com/config-amazon.g?blogID=8328385