Saturday, August 05, 2006

Banjos, GPS and "illin' steez"

Via Messenger:

A-L: Hi Caroline. I miss you. What’s happening? I need some material for my blog.

Caroline: Hi. I miss you too. Nothing is happening.

A-L: I don’t believe you. You’re planning a wedding.

Caroline: Honestly. Nothing’s happening. We had to re-shoot our engagement photos because our photographer lost our originals. And our violinist flaked out but we found another one.

A-L: I had no idea there was such a thing as a flaky violinist. What about a fiddler? My dad says it’s a violin when you’re sellin’, and a fiddle when you’re buyin’. Or dueling banjos?

Caroline: And a family friend gave us a welcome mat with our latitude and longitude coordinates on it.

A-L: Wow. I didn’t know Macys sold those. How many did you register for?

Caroline: And Salem, Oregon is home of the Macy's of the Damned. It’s horrifying. They have nothing in stock.

A-L: Except global positioning doormats. They have a Macy’s in Salem? And who do you know in Salem that you want at your wedding?

Caroline: The fiddler. And I got a free tote bag for registering for twelve 5-piece place settings.

A-L: Are you giving it away as a door prize at the reception? Or is it the “new” of the “something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue”?

Caroline: No, it’s the “something blue”. And our photographer kept telling us to nuzzle and kiss in front of the camera. Which is not Dave's steez exactly. I mean, that's not how we roll on camera. You can quote me.

A-L: Is that why the photographer destroyed the negatives? And what’s ‘steez’? Is that appropriate for a family audience? My mom and dad read my blog. That’s not Canadian street slang, is it?

Caroline: It means “style”. Like “illin steez”.

A-L: Woah Caroline, I think we’ve drifted.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah yes...steez. Actually a hybrid of 'style' and 'ease' I believe. Not a lot of hip-hop culture in Scotland I'm guessing...

ALS said...

When you type +"hip hop" +"Scotland" into Google, you get 2,780,000 results. So there.

Anonymous said...

Your readers have witnessed the very first time I used the word "steez." Soon I will be ready for words like "crunk" and, uh, well, I can't think of any other terms. And crunk is so, like, 2002. I think.

 
http://www.blogger.com/config-amazon.g?blogID=8328385