Saturday, January 06, 2007

Moveable Airports

4 days ago...

Pete: I see you've booked yourself another round of rookie flights back to Edinburgh.

A-L: No, it's fine. I have a friend in Cincinnati who might come see me at the airport, and I'm hoping to meet Dawn in Paris for a coffee before my flight to Edinburgh.

Pete: I hope your 'friend' in Cincinnati likes Kentucky, because that's where the airport is.

A-L: Shirley, you jest.

Pete: The Cincinnati airport is in Northern Kentucky. Look it up. But it's just across the river.

A-L: What river? So where was WKRP?

Pete: And I don't think it's a good idea to leave the airport in Paris. It'll take you longer than you think to get into town, and you'll have a heckuva time going back through security.

A-L: It's amazing that I survive alone in Scotland.

Pete: Your mother prays A LOT.

A-L: So are you taking me to the airport?

Pete: Yeah, I'm going to East Texas for work.

4:30 a.m. the morning of departure...

Irma: Your father has to repack his suitcase. He forgot it was winter in East Texas.

A-L: What season did he think it was? Does this mean I have to wait for him to execute a complete wardrobe change? Does he know Colorado just got hit by another blizzard? I heard they're airlifting food to cattle stranded in the snow. And Pete's packed linen trousers?

Pete (shouts from the other room): I'm not going to Colorado. I'm going to East Texas. Oklahoma protects it from Colorado.

At the airport...

After security, I realise I left my winter coat in the rental car that my dad was going to turn in. I make my way to the gate, then consider calling my dad's cell phone from the pay phone, and decide just to head to the lounge.

Lady at the desk, after I show my boarding pass: Your dad is looking for you. He has your coat. He's waiting downstairs for you.

So I go back to the front, and find my dad, who says someone took my coat to the gate.

A-L (sheepishly): Thanks.

So I go back through security, and to the gate, and retrieve my coat. Then back to the lounge.

Lady at the desk: Oh good, you got your coat.

A-L: Yeah, I wonder why my parents treat me like I'm 11 years old, and then I leave my coat in the rental car.

Lady at the desk: Oh, I bet your mom prays for you, a lot.

3 comments:

Abcdpdx said...

you get to hang out in a lounge?

ALS said...

Pete is the Patron Saint of Airport Lounges, and can grant lounge privileges to those who burn incense at an altar made entirely of his frequent flyer cards.

Anonymous said...

The foundation of said alter was built with PSA and PanAm Clipper Club relics, collectors items now...

 
http://www.blogger.com/config-amazon.g?blogID=8328385