Monday, October 04, 2004

What the Americans Are Saying: Bush or Kerry?

Lanae from Los Angeles:

I have a terrible feeling Bush will win again. But alas this is the second election where I will NOT vote for him!

D. from Portland, OR:

I live in Portland, where I am forbidden to express my opinions publicly unless they are liberal and pro-Democrat (or at least anti-Republican). Expressing any support for the President results in someone stealing my yard sign, keying my car, spitting on my car, etc.

I think it's safe to say Kerry will take Oregon. Ironically, the same people wearing "Bush is taking away my civil liberties" pins are the ones that think I'm an attack target if I exercise my right to free expression.

Anyway, I think it will be a very close race nationally (too close to call) and Kerry is getting hit pretty hard for not being able to hold a consistent position on key issues. I think that may be his undoing. Without that albatross, I think he'd win by 5% to 8%.


Mike from D.C.:

In my opinion, Bush will win with 56% of the popular vote. He is the right man at the right time in history. Kerry would be a disaster as President.

C. from Portland, OR:

Everyone I talk to (except my boss) is voting for Kerry. I don’t know who will win, but I think it will be close. Jim and I enjoyed watching the debate the other night. I agree w/ the analysts who said it seemed like Bush ran out of material. My mother will be visiting during the next two debates. I can’t wait to watch with her. She is a staunch Democrat (surrounded by Republicans where she lives) and extremely informed.

Do I think more people will vote this time? I know for sure that at least one more person will: I was talking w/ a guy in our office about the debate the other day. It seems his wife was moved. After the debate ended, she told him she was going to register to vote. He told me he was surprised by that b/c “she’s not like that”. I was surprised he was comfortable telling me that his 28 year old wife wasn’t registered to vote.


Nancy in Los Angeles:

I just heard on the news this morning that after last week’s debate, 3 different polls taken the 4 days after the debate show that kerry and bush are neck in neck at 49% each. And they also said that in the swing states, voter registration is up 3x more than usual….so obviously people think this is an important election where their vote WILL make a difference. Personally, I think it’s too close to call yet. It will all depend on what happens in iraq the next month and if any terrorist things happen and how the next 2 debates go. Bush was SO not presidential and looking like he didn’t even want to be there last time. I think a lot of people are waiting to see what happens in the next few weeks…with the 2 of them and in the world.

Mike from Minneapolis:

There are more presidential lawn signs this year than last the 4 elections combined. Kerry seems to have a little momentum and hopefully is getting some previously uninterested people to register.

Caroline from Portland:

I think we're all holding our breath after Kerry trounced Bush in thedebate. there seems to be a "hope for the best, expect the worst"attitude. for myself, I fear that Bush will win but not fairly.At a party last night I talked to one woman who feels like Kerry willwin. I think people are kind of afraid to get their hopes up and havebecome more cynical. that's the news from the Portland potluck party circuit.

No comments:

 
http://www.blogger.com/config-amazon.g?blogID=8328385