Monday, November 22, 2010

Adventures In Moving

I recently walked past a house where the owners were mid-move. They were moving out, which is never as satisfying as moving in. In the midst of a sea of boxes stood a frazzled 50-something couple that looked about 250 years old. Moving does that to you.

So I did what Irma would want me to do.

A-L: I have a message for you, from my mother, who has moved 13,000 times. That message is 'Peace be with you.'

Haggard moving woman, with tears in her eyes: Thank you. Thank you.

What's my point? There is none. It's just that this Thanksgiving week I was looking for an opportunity to give thanks for the fact that I have not moved in almost two years. A near record, for the Frequent Flying Gypsy Sandstrums of Camarillo (formerly of Laihia, Inglewood, Compton, Helsinki, Granada Hills, Simi Valley, Somis, Heusenstamm, Mission Viejo, Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Portland, Salzburg, Camas, Burbank, Pasadena, Palm Desert, Coachella, Encino, Edinburgh, San Francisco - in more or less that order).

Which brings me to this somewhat related memory. When I lived in Burbank I had an Israeli roommate who worked for a moving company called "Let's Move It Right." And our other roommate used to tack on the phrase "this time" to the end. Took the words right out of Irma's mouth.

1 comment:

Abcdpdx said...

how nice to be relatively settled! glad we're on the same coast--someday we really will come down to visit!!!!

 
http://www.blogger.com/config-amazon.g?blogID=8328385