Sunday, November 14, 2004

Remembrance Sunday

Today is Remembrance Sunday. So this morning, Paul and Sarah and Bryan and I watched on T.V. the Remembrance Services, held in London. The Queen and her posse were there. We accidentally talked through the minutes' silence at 11:11 a.m. Oops. I must confess, before this year I didn't think much of the Royals. But my flatmate Paul is an admirer of the Queen and her diplomacy skills, so I'm converted. And today when she placed a wreath at the Cenotaph (the UK's national memorial) she backed down the steps, in high heels. Just like Ginger Rogers, who, as Faith Whittlesey said, did everything Prince Phillip did, but backwards and in high heels. So the Queen has my vote.

And this evening Madonna was inducted into the UK Music Hall of Fame. For some reason she only has an English accent when she's in the States. Here, in her homeland, she sounds quite American. But she deserved the award. Madonna wrote the soundtrack to my elementary school/junior high years.

And then today my friend Norette said the funniest thing I've heard in a long time:

"He's an atheist, thank the Lord."

No comments:

 
http://www.blogger.com/config-amazon.g?blogID=8328385