Monday, December 12, 2005

Talking Baby

Saturday -

Maria: Annais said her first word today.

A-L: Who's Annais?

Maria: She's the baby I had in May.

A-L: Oh yeah. What did he say?

Maria: She. She said 'da da'.

A-L: I'm not impressed. Babies, even quite young ones, can easily imitate sounds that those around them are making. How old is she?

Maria: She was born in May. May 23rd.

A-L: Not bad. But call me back when she's fluent is something more than 'da da'.

Sunday-

Irma: Hi. Annais is talking.

A-L: I know, I spoke to Maria yesterday. I heard she said 'da da'.

Irma: Oh no, this is better. I was holding her just now and she said 'ok'.

A-L: That's it? Just 'ok', not 'great' or 'super'? I guess it's pretty good for a six month old...

Monday (at work) -

A-L: The baby is talking.

Co-workers: Really?

A-L: Yeah, she said 'da da' and then on Sunday she said 'ok'.

Co-workers: How old is the baby?

A-L: She'll be seven months on the 23rd.

And then the co-workers looked at each other like I was a compulsive liar. Note to self: Don't tell anyone about talking baby niece.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We're so disappointed that Annais still hasn't learned to say Anna Lisa, despite our efforts to teach her before your arrival for Christmas...

 
http://www.blogger.com/config-amazon.g?blogID=8328385