Monday, September 12, 2005

White Lies

So flatmate Paul was at a wedding last weekend and sat at the same table as an elderly woman and her daughter-in-law, among others. Although Paul is of the opinion that it is the responsibility of older people to begin conversations, he began speaking to the old lady.

Paul: Are you from Elgin?

Old Lady: No, I'm from Lossiemouth. Are you from Elgin?

Paul: Yes.

O.L.: Oh, did you go to school there?

Paul: Yes, I went to Elgin Academy.

O.L.: Oh did you? I taught at Elgin Academy.

Paul: Really? Well, I went there about 15 years ago. What did you teach?

O.L.: A little bit of everything.

Paul: Really?

Daughter-in-law interrupts: No, you didn't teach at Elgin Academy. You worked at the Hydro Board.

Paul to O.L., trying to keep a straight face: Oh, did you like working at the Hydro Board.

O.L.: Yes, I did.

No comments:

 
http://www.blogger.com/config-amazon.g?blogID=8328385