Thursday, April 28, 2005

Jewellery Designers (read: drug smugglers)

Tonight at Kebab Mahal two Argentinian gentleman came and sat down next to us. So I turned to them and asked them where they were from, how long they had been in Edinburgh, and why they were here.

Argentina. A year and a half. To work.

What do you do?

Design jewellery.

Neither had a piece of jewellery on. And they didn't look like the designery type. So I continued the interrogation. What other languages do you speak?

Spanish, Turkish and Albanian.

What were you doing in Turkey?

Designing jewellery.

What were you doing in Albania?

Designing jewellery.

By then I had decided they were hit men, or baby thieves, or drug smugglers.

So I said to them in Spanish: "My sister Maria's husband is Mexican." Which sounds like a line out of a 9th grade Spanish textbook.

And then I pulled out the other phrase I know in Spanish: "The cowboy mouse drew his two pistols."

And then for some reason they moved tables???

Weirdos.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I have no idea why they would be so rude as to switch tables...sounds fishy to me. I think your assumptions of their mode of employment is dead on.
By the way, love the new look purely because I have another venue to gaze at Aila. That kid is WAY too cute.

Anonymous said...

I think if someone asked me as many questions as that, I'd move table too! Even drug barons have a right to a pizza in piece. (Particularly drug barons, as they have a stressful job.)

Congratulations on being selected as a favourite blog of someone at our blogmeeting.

Anonymous said...

Woops. So busy congratulating myself on "pizza in peace", that I mis-spelled it. I'm worse than your students. Significantly worse.

Anonymous said...

apartment size washer and dryersovenapartment size washer and dryers

 
http://www.blogger.com/config-amazon.g?blogID=8328385