Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Ted's Birthday

Polish flatmate Ted will be 31 on Saturday, 19th of November. Which is why this conversation took place:

A-L: What should we get Ted for his birthday?

Paul: Deodorant.

A-L: That's not very nice.

Paul: That's what he got me for my birthday.

A-L: Oh yeah, but that was sweet.

Paul: What??

A-L: Well, he had just moved in with us, he was new to the country, he was working 60 hours a week, and he wanted to buy you a present, so he got you something you could use. Now that we've turned him into a capitalist pig he'll never again give sweet, simple presents.

Paul: What did he give you for your birthday?

A-L: Nothing. Why don't we give the bastard back the deodorant he gave you.

Paul: I think it's probably enough of a gift that we're throwing him a birthday party on Saturday (to which Martin Little is invited, if you're reading this).

A-L: Let's get one thing straight: we are throwing a party, and it happens to be on Ted's birthday, but it is not a birthday party for Ted.

Paul: You've changed your tune.

A-L: Because you reminded me that he didn't get me anything for my birthday. And, it's your job to keep Ted away from the stereo on Saturday night.

Paul: Is that because he's discovered Meatloaf?

A-L: Yes, I would do anything to never hear Meatloaf again, especially at my belated birthday party.

Paul: Oh, now it's your birthday party.

A-L: Well, the 11th of December is my half birthday.

Paul: I think people stop celebrating half birthdays when they're 7.

A-L: Maybe in Britain. But there's a strong history of lavishly celebrated half birthdays in the U.S. Especially if your birthday falls at an inopportune time, such as June, when people are still recovering (emotionally and financially) from all those birthday parties the Pisceans threw themselves three months back.

Paul: You know, Ted said something to me the other day about "Dolly Parton", "party", "Saturday" and "broken". Do you have any idea what he's talking about?

A-L: I think he meant to say, "I've hidden A-L's Dolly Parton CD. Tell her it's broken."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

shame on you both

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday A-L. Happy Birthday Ted...and if I were to choose between Meatloaf and Dolly Parton, Dolly would win anyday. Hands down.

Anonymous said...

Szczęśliwy Dzień urodzenia Ted! Hector sends fellow Scorpio (11/21) greetings as well!

Martin said...

You guys are way harsh on Ted. Be nice to him -- he's from Poland, and you're the best he has for friends. ;-)

What time is the party?

Martin said...

Hey Paul, AL ... I don't know where you live, or your phone number(s) [note: stalker mode not intentionally invoked there! ;-) ]. I've tried IM, but no joy. If/when you see this, please can you text me the address (phone number is on Paul's IM) or else mail me and I'll collect it on my phone? I'm going to pop out and get some food and maybe have a beer just now, but later...?

In case I don't catch you, have a great party.

Anonymous said...

How was the party?

 
http://www.blogger.com/config-amazon.g?blogID=8328385