Tuesday, January 13, 2009

San Francisco - Day 6 (Sunday)

There's a windmill (?!) at the end of Golden Gate Park, right across from Ocean Beach (actually, there are two, but more on that later, maybe). I wandered down there on Sunday, and started talking to a man and woman who were dressed, as David Sedaris might say, like they had come to 'mow the lawns of San Francisco': comfortable white tennis shoes (trainers, for you foreigners out there in the Empire), circa 1989 sunglasses, and multiple layers of clothing.

A-L, standing under sign that says "Dutch Windmill": What is this thing? (Meaning: why is it here?)

Tourist man: It's a windmill.

A-L: Wow, you're right. (Meaning: Wow, what's wrong with you?) I wonder why it's here? (Meaning: Why is there a windmill in Golden Gate Park?)

Tourist lady: Well, windmills were usually built near water, to provide electricity.

A-L: Uh huh. (Meaning: Wow, what is wrong with you?) Maybe this sign will tell us something.

So tourist lady proceeded to read the sign to me, in case I can't read. Which was nice of her, I suppose, although she read a bit slowly, for a docent (that means guide, for you foreigners). The sign told us only who paid for the restoration, and not why there's a windmill in Golden Gate Park. So we're back to square one, and now I'm stuck talking to Tourist Man and Lady who think windmills are powered by water.

A-L: So, are you on vacation here?

Tourist Man: Yes, we're from Los Angeles. Where are you from?

A-L: It's a long story, but now I have a vaguely fake Scottish accent and I'm hoping it'll help me get a job at a British-themed pub. I came back to the U.S. because Obama got elected.

Tourist Man: He's just going to continue Bush's fiscal policies. Nothing's going to change. I've been briefed.

A-L: Perhaps you're right, but at least he's articulate and intelligent.

Tourist Man: As long as the tele-prompter is on.

Tourist Lady: That's right.

A-L: You said you've been 'briefed' on his policies. What do you do? Or would you have to kill me if you told me?

Tourist Man: Um, let's just say I'm a consultant.

A-L: Oh, you're unemployed too?

And that's the story of how I managed to find the only two Republicans within the San Francisco city limits, AND accidentally start a political conversation with them.

The End.

3 comments:

Abcdpdx said...

I can't WAIT to hear more about your San Fran adventures. I REALLY can't wait to come visit you!!

Emma said...

NO wonder our energy policy is such a mess.

Tatiana L. said...

This is awesome!

 
http://www.blogger.com/config-amazon.g?blogID=8328385