Friday, January 16, 2009

The Job Hunt

A-L: Hi Maria. I need your help. Looking for a job in San Francisco is impossible.

Sister Maria: Is the economy really bad up there too?

A-L: Uh, I guess, but I just keep getting distracted, and I find that there are too many jobs. How do I narrow it down? Today I found the *perfect* job on craigslist.org under "retail/wholesale jobs" -

Now hiring for all part-time positions at our new Sanrio store (Hello Kitty) in Japan Town San Francisco. We are looking for candidates who are friendly, energetic, dependable, courteous, motivated and customer service oriented.

A-L (cont.): I meet all those requirements, AND I love cats. But it's only part-time.

Sister Maria: Wow, that does sound good, I think. I guess stickers and pencils and glittery Hello Kitty lip gloss are recession proof. But you need something full-time.

A-L: Here's another good one -

Need 2 people to stand on the corner of Mission St. between Ocean and Geneva and simply WAVE to people. Will have to dress up in a Statue of Liberty costume.

A-L (cont.): I can do that. I'm friendly, and good at waving. And I think they meant to say "will get to dress up in a Statue of Liberty costume".

Sister Maria: I don't think you'd look very good in a crown.

A-L: Maybe I could do that job, while I'm doing this one:

Great dog walking position open!! Established dog walking service looking for the right person to work outdoors with great dogs. The job can be really fun and rewarding for dog lovers. You must own a large vehicle, truck with a camper shell, van or an SUV (sorry sedans are too small).

Sister Maria: Sorry to be the spoilsport again, but you drive a sedan. And Kitty would hate you.

A-L: Kitty who?

Sister Maria: The cat you left in Scotland. Remember her?

A-L: Vaguely. Was she the really affectionate one who lived to purr and be held?

Sister Maria: No, that was the cat you left in Sherman Oaks. Puppy was his name.

A-L: Oh yes, that's right. He was a little gem. Anyway, you're right, I have a sedan so I'm not qualified for the dog walking job. How about this -

Looking for a left handed person to demonstrate and sell product in our fun store, LEFTY'S SAN FRANCISCO on PIER 39- we cater to tourists who appreciate interaction and we require that you provide it--- very small store, you can't be the type to bounce off the wall in a small space--- resume not required, please respond with a letter telling me about your experiences as a left handed person and relevant retail selling background.

Sister Maria: Ummm, there are a couple of problems with this one, but I think I should let you work it out for yourself. I can't hold your hand, your right hand, through life. I know you'll find the right job for you.

A-L: You're totally right. And I've gotta go. I'm late for this -

Gay Mens Science Fiction Book Group Are you a gay man? Do you like science fiction? Are you interested in meeting new friends? Are you interested in talking about the books you read? Do you read one or more books a month? Can you come to a book club meeting once a month?

If you can say yes to these questions then please join our group! We are a small friendly informal social group. We meet on the second sunday of the month at Borderlands books. We will be discussing Queen of Angels by Greg Bear on Feb 8.

1 comment:

Abcdpdx said...

yep, sounds like the job market in Portland.

 
http://www.blogger.com/config-amazon.g?blogID=8328385