Tuesday, May 17, 2005

The Gym

Paul is a member at Escape, a local gym (although it does sound like the name of a suspicious massage parlor), and invited me along to sample the delights of running machines, free weights, stair climbers, the pool and the sauna. Did I mention the pool and the sauna?

Well, I used to run a bit when I lived in a place that was closer to the sun, a land called California where it's not 4 degrees in May, a land where water falls out of the tap, not out of the sky. Long story short, these legs haven't run in a while. So I ran for about eight minutes. Which brings me to the sauna and pool. They were lovely.

In the sauna I poured so much water on the rocks in an attempt to show off my half Finnishness that I ended up driving myself out of there, leaving a Welshman as the sauna champion. And then I made the faux pas of jumping straight from the sauna into the swimming pool without rinsing off, which in terms of Finnish hygiene protocal Chapter 3, Verse 1, means I can have my Finnish passport revoked. In fact, they might even summon me to Helsinki just so they could deport me.

But the best part about Escape, which could make it worth the 35 GBP monthly fee, is that you get to use AS MUCH free shampoo and conditioner and body wash as you want. I washed my hair twice.

3 comments:

Gordon said...

I've never EVER won the sauna competition. I'm a most definitely not Finnish (nor of nordic stock at all apparently).

Ohh and sauna to pool discretions can get you chucked out of most Western countries these days.. ick!

Martin said...

35 GBP/month? I'm a member and pay over 50 GBP/month. What's your secret deal? Is that for restricted membership? Seriously, I need to know!

Martin said...

Phew, OK. I'm kind of thinking that gym is now too far away from me, but I'll be sure to say hello if I ever spot you in there ... at 6am. :-))))))))))))))))))

 
http://www.blogger.com/config-amazon.g?blogID=8328385