Monday, August 07, 2006

Names have been changed to protect the, uh, people who need protecting

At a friend's party...

Betty: Hi, I'm A-L.

Ian: Hi, I'm Ian. How do you know Kelly?

Betty: I studied with her. But now I work at XYZ Inc.

Ian: Oh, you work at XYZ??

Betty: Yes.

Ian: Then you'll know me.*

Betty: Sorry, what's your name?

Ian: It's Ian. You'll know me, if you work at XYZ.

Betty: Uh, sorry, I don't know you. What's your surname?

Ian: It's Wilson. I'm Ian Wilson. I'M Ian Wilson.

Betty: Sorry, I don't know you.

Ian: Well, you will if you work at XYZ. I run an organisation based here. Sooner or later I'll call you and ask you to do something for me.

Betty: I work in export.

Ian: Oh, everyone at XYZ does stuff for me. I know Margaret. I always call her. So sooner or later I'll call you and ask you to send me some information.

Betty: I work in export.

Ian: I'll e-mail you if I need some graphics, or pricing info.

(And then I said this in my head...)

Betty: I work in export. You're based in Edinburgh. We're based in Edinburgh. We don't export from Edinburgh to Edinburgh.

*He actually said this. True story. It's my new favourite line: "Then you'll know me."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you mean the Ian Wilson? wow...

 
http://www.blogger.com/config-amazon.g?blogID=8328385