Saturday, June 18, 2005

30

Since I'm in L.A., last week I had lunch with Drew (Barrymore), Angelina (Jolie) and Nikki (Taylor). We talked about work, and the pressures of fame, and turning 30. Can you believe we're 30? Nikki wanted to invite Tiger (Woods), also 30, but Drew and Angie were totally against it. I haven't seen him in ages, so I was up for it, but . . . whatever.

So, yeah, it was a nice lunch. Your 30th birthday is kinda like New Year's Eve, because it makes you look back on the past. I did at least. Angie confessed she slept through her 30th because she was on her way to Cambodia to buy another son, or clear some landmines, or something. So she didn't use the day to examine the past 30 years. But I did. I now remember events that happened 25, 26, and even 27 years ago. And it hit me that when my *new* niece is 30, I'll be 60. Hmmm.

So on my birthday I went to see friends Hannah and J.D. at their new house in Venice. Beforehand I stopped at the store to buy a bottle of wine. The cashier looked at me, hesitated, and then unhesitated and said, "I was gonna ask for your I.D., but you look 30." I wish she had re-hesitated. And then Hannah's friend came over for dinner and said "I'll be 30 in September." And before I could say another word, she said, "I know, I don't look 30!" And I do???

And three days later I found a gray hair.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday A-L! Thirty, or twentyten as Gerry likes to call it, is not so bad, and you don't look it one little bit! Lots of birthday love form Judy and Gerry in Inverness xxx

JWH said...

Happy Birthday! 30 ain't so bad; I'll be there shortly myself.

Are you still on the west side of the pond? The chickens, after months of reading your musings here, would like to meet you.

 
http://www.blogger.com/config-amazon.g?blogID=8328385