Saturday, September 06, 2008

Report from Kindergarten

A-L: Hi, tell me all about Kindergarten.

Sister Maria: Why are you spelling it like we're speaking German? And I'll pass you over to Aila, so she can give you the full report.

A-L: Hi Aila. Tell me everything. How was your first week of Kindergarten?

Aila: Hi. Good. Do you want to talk to my sister?

A-L: I already spoke to Annais. At length. She told me she's wearing a brown dress, and she wants to come visit me, but it's too far away. We've run out of things to say to each other. How was Kindergarten?

Aila: Good. I'm in the quail group and there are roadrunners.

A-L: I guess at Kindergarten in Scotland the groups would be grouse and haggis, maybe. What's your teacher's name?

Aila: Mrs. Crum(b)(p)

A-L: Mrs. Crump?

Aila: No! Mrs. Crumb.

A-L: Oh, Crumb, like bread crumb.

Aila (laughing): Yeah.

A-L: So what does Mrs. Bread-Crumb teach? What did you do all day?

Aila: We had morning snack, and then lunch, and then afternoon snack. And then we learned about earthquakes. When Mrs. Crumb says 'bunny in the hole' we have to get under the desk and cover our heads so we don't bump them. I love you. Bye.

Sister Maria: Hi. Did you get the full report?

A-L: Totally. And I look forward to people Googling 'quail', 'roadrunners' and 'earthquakes', and winding up reading Aila's modern-day, Southern California Kindergarten tale.

No comments:

 
http://www.blogger.com/config-amazon.g?blogID=8328385